When the weather outside is frightful, the hot cocoa is so delightful. So go ahead and grab a piping hot cup and enjoy because cocoa has many health benefits. Don’t believe us?
Then check out what the science has to say about this tasty beverage:
- Cocoa flavanols can lower blood pressure and maintain healthy blood vessel function by making blood vessels more flexible to expand to improve blood flow.
- Flavanols are chemical compounds found in fruits, vegetables and cocoa.
- Skip prepared cocoa mixes, even “low sugar” varieties are artificially flavored and don’t contain the cocoa with flavanol content.
- Participants in a study who consumed a cocoa-flavanol drink twice daily for one month improved their cardiovascular heath, including lower blood pressure and “decreased total and LDL cholesterol compared to a group consumed a drink with no flavanols.”
- Cocoa flavanols may help improve age-related memory decline in healthy older adults, according to a research study published in Nature Neuroscience.
Please check with your physician before making any changes to your diet.